Apologies for the long post but It would appear that paths and tracks shown on the 1888-1913 maps (that are not matched by a Right of Way (ROW) on the modern OS map) are unregistered ROWs if they are still in use.
The Government has declared that any such unregistered ROWs will cease to exist in 2026 if they are not “claimed as in use” and current.
The area around Crownhill Down – Stockers – Baccamore etc is crisscrossed with them and we would think are well used by walkers and horse riders. If they are not “registered” they could end up being closed off.
See the link to the Ramblers Association interactive map – once you have registered its very straight forward to use and submit paths. Exactly what happens after that is the question!
Cllr Peacham has submitted a few improvements around Hemerdon and “claimed” a ROW around Boringdon Camp (Cann Woods) as the Parish Council is trying to get this re-opened. Also, paths from Stoggy Lane across Chaddlewoods and a path that uses the track past Claymore House moving north west and connecting to paths on the western boundary of the mine.
Crownhill Down is Common Land which gives the public right of access, but someone still owns it. When the mine was built, the Bridleways shown on the current OS map were diverted around its southern and western boundaries. There wasn’t a bridleway shown connecting Stockers to the west, hence we do not have a nice bridleway around the north of the mine. Lets make sure we get one registered so that it is included in their restoration plan.
The bridleway that ends at Stockers should connect up to the bridleways to the east to Yondertown and Lutton, would give a more complete network.
Perhaps the more people who submit the same data the more likely it is to actually become registered on the current OS map as a footpath or bridleway.